Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Desentization

I know I'm only 21, and I'm not extremely proud of the generation I come from, but I feel like my level of maturity isn't too bad for my age. I say this because in spite of having always known what the status quo is for my age group, I never really knew the extent to which my peers could sink in immaturity. Today I came across a news story that almost made me want to cry. But I'll start with a little background.

When we came along, the world was on the edge of the new era of technology...video games were becoming popular, the internet started to become available to the average household, cell phones started taking over the world, etc. We were the generation that, in my opinion, lost the talent of self-entertainment. We had all these screens to look at (TV shows, video games, computers), it was never necessary for us to have imaginations, or learn to think for ourselves. I think this is why we're so desensitized to the majority of world events, because we'll believe whatever we're told (usually by the media, or often from close friends and family). This is no excuse, but it's my take on how such idiots were bred in our country.

The following is a picture of two students (Nicole Cassese and her boyfriend Yael Nadel-Cadaxa) from the University of Arizona, in their Halloween costumes. The fact that it's here in Arizona somewhat surprises me, but I guess it shouldn't.



The guy is one of the twin towers, and the girl is the plane. It took me a while to realize this, but the colorful specks on the "building" are people. I don't even know what to say to this, it's so disrespectful, to so many people. It appalls me that anyone could even think about doing something like this, and making such a joke of an event in which so many people lost lives, and so many other people lost close friends and family. It's just, the epitome of rude and tasteless, in my opinion. There's more pictures below, of the two of them practicing their pose before the party, and some more of them at the party. The last one is a picture of the boyfriend performing his great idea-taking a firefighter and lighting it so it's burned. This is just horrible.







I got this all from Darrell Ankarlo's website, and from his article, here's some more information about what went on at the party:
"Nicole has gone into hiding and has changed her name on her Facebook page. Also, of note, according to a party attendee several people were quite upset at her and Yael’s costume. He noticed they were not at the party long after the host asked them to remove their costumes. Maybe, there is help after all."

No comments: