Monday, September 29, 2008

Look Out - A Political Post!!

So...over the weekend we went to a party. I know, crazy!! It wasn't a wild and crazy "young people's party," it was just a little shindig Russell's grandma threw at his aunt & uncle's house. While they were out of town. Funny, but I think she really greatly enjoyed it. And, as usual, Russell being around his mom led to a huge political discussion...probably about an hour or so of lots of yelling (they call it talking loudly) between all of us about almost every current issue affecting our country. I was thinking about it today, and I think the best way to form an opinion on the issues is to research them. This is why today, I'm sharing some (hopefully) helpful knowledge of several books, and one DVD, that Russell and I have. I'll admit I haven't read them all, but I do plan to. I'm sorry they're somewhat biased, I could go on and on about references but these books describe my beliefs/worries/opinions in a nutshell. I'm open to people presenting me with books from their (opposing) side of the argument, so please don't come up with an attack about how I'm only focusing on my own side. I'm guilty, I know. Anyhow...here they are:


The Great Global Warming Swindle is a movie about, obviously, global warming. It's not about a lack thereof, but about the hoax that it's entirely, or almost entirely, human-caused. The main thing that got me in this movie is the amazing evidence of sun spots affecting Earth's climate. I really want to look into that more, and never really have yet, but basically it's the science of watching (documenting) the sun's activity, largely focused on the size and number of sun spots. They're basically strong magnetic fields underneath the sun's surface that cause less heat to be emitted by the surface area above them, thus affecting how much heat Earth receives from the sun. Very interesting.


I've read An Inconvenient Book: Real Solutions to the World's Biggest Problems by Glenn Beck, and no matter what your political stance, I highly recommend it. Glenn Beck is humorous, first of all, which I love because politically-focused books can sometimes be tedious, but his is definitely nowhere near boring. He goes through all of the main issues and states the problem, then his solution, while keeping it personal by showing how it relates to himself and his family. I think that's why I read it so fast, because it didn't seem like a chore to me, or something I got tired of after a while, I kept coming back because I loved the writing and humor in it.


Right now one of the books I'm reading is Another Man's Sombrero by Darrell Ankarlo, and all I can say is WOW. Darrell is a lot braver than I am. He and four other guys (including his son, Adam, who's a former Marine sniper) went down and "became illegals." They went to Mexico without a whole lot (as far as money/protection) and went around talking to people. They interviewed a ton of people: residents living in homes constructed basically from trash, coyotes (people who make a living smuggling people over the border), parents, children, and everyone in between. Then the group crossed over the border illegally (which basically just means they ducked through the fence and voila, they were on U.S. ground) and took the trek through the desert that so many illegals have traveled before. This book is extremely interesting, regardless of your stance (I keep saying that, lol), because it's extremely informative on all the inner workings (and horrors) of the illegal immigrant industry, as well as its effect on both countries (Mexico and the USA).


Another book I'm currently reading is Joe's Law: America's Toughest Sheriff Takes on Illegal Immigration, Drugs, and Everything Else That Threatens America by Joe Arpaio and Len Sherman. I'm enjoying this one a lot, mostly because I'm a huge supporter of Sheriff Joe, and proud to have him as our sheriff. I wish we could clone him or something, so that once he retires, we'd have someone new to take over with his efforts. His approval rating has been in the 80th percentile (80% or above) for most of his term as sheriff, and there's a reason for that: he carries out the law. Simple as it sounds, not many law enforcement agencies really do what they're supposed to. He makes them look bad, but it really shows us that we have a right to expect elected officials to carry out our wishes instead of those of special interest groups (with deep pockets). Great sheriff, great book!

Ones I haven't read but we have them and I'll get to them eventually:


Russell's reading The Late Great U.S.A.: The Coming Merger With Mexico and Canada by Jerome Corsi, he's read me parts of it and it's definitely a scary concept. Hard to swallow, but impossible to ignore...I really want to read this one!

(same author) We loaned Russell's mom The Obama Nation: Leftist Politics and the Cult of Personality by Jerome Corsi, but she says she hasn't read it because "it's all lies." When we get it back from her I'll read it and make my own opinion about how true it is.


Liberal Fascism: The Secret History of the American Left, From Mussolini to the Politics of Meaning by Jonah Goldberg looks very intruiging, a friend of mine read it and said it was really good so I can't wait to read this one.


I haven't read America Alone: The End of the World As We Know It by Mark Steyn, but basically it's about how certain cultures are given special privileges over and over, until eventually they're able to just take over. No, we're not talking about illegals (or Mexicans in general), although this could happen/is happening in the southern border states of the U.S. It's about how diversity is good, but favoring one religion or culture could lead to total ruin of all others.


This last one sounds pretty good...America's Coming War with China: A Collision Course over Taiwan by Ted Galen Carpenter, about the trouble brewing in Taiwan which could lead to America fighting China after China attacks Taiwan.

No time to write a clever finish, I'm off work now so I've gotta go. Hope you enjoyed!

No comments: